
The Oakland County Boat Club was established in 1912.
The original clubhouse served as the social epicenter of Sylvan Lake.
Local residents Frank Phillips, a piano player, and his friend Dr. Bernard TePoorten, a singer, entertained folks who visited the club every Saturday night. Couples danced, enjoyed coffee and doughnuts, and played poker while children slept on coats piled on tables not in use.
In 1917, the present clubhouse was built on pilings, and had boat wells under the structure. Community meetings for the Sylvan Lake Council and the Garden Club were frequently held there. In the 1930's, the clubhouse was moved back seventy feet to the present location.